Thursday, June 4, 2009

Agents and New Clients

Yesterday I signed up a new client. I can't tell you how exciting it is to do that. It's so exciting in fact, that I celebrate by going for a long walk, smoking a cigar ( if I have one), and having a nice glass of scotch. Yes that's the kind of wild and crazy guy I am.

Despite what you may think, the life of an agent is not all glamour and glitz. It's spending every day on the phone, brainstorming ideas of who to contact to see if they want to write a book, reading manuscripts- some great, some horrendous, and then playing the role of a diplomat between publisher and author. So when an agent signs up a client without any fuss or muss it is cause for celebration.

Our life is a solitary one punctuated by playing the odd game of tennis, watching a movie, or going to a baseball game and if one isn't careful they can become old before their time. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

I like what I do, I just wish there was a regular paycheck involved. But you can't have everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment