Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Good friends, Good times

Ah, good friends equals good times. When an old friend comes into town, even at my age I like to indulge in a little scotch and recollection over a few cigars. What is it about reminiscing with someone you've know for dozens of years that makes you feel that all is right in the world? Is it the excuses it provides? " No, I'm not working today, I'm going out with my old friend from school" or is it the shared memories of spending endless nights in pubs. Well no it couldn't be that because I don't remember the nights in the pubs- too much scotch. But that's what these old friends are for- not recalling the good old times back in the day.

This week I have the pleasure of catching up with a good friend of mine and skipping out on as much work as possible. We've gone out to fine restaurants (not the Persian one- I won't name names but I will NEVER go there again. Not only was the food mediocre but the service was appalling. Post a comment if you want the name of the place to avoid a food catastrophe), we've played golf, gone for walks, watched sports on television and may even watch a few movies. But throughout his visit I very rarely felt like saying "Okay, I've seen you -now get the hell out of my apartment". This could happen if you are a new friend, but with old ones all is forgiven.

As Walter Winchell said, " A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out."

I have to agree. And it's going to suck not having an excuse to avoid work when he leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment