Sunday, April 26, 2009

How time flies- Pick up your Phone


Wow, it's been over a month since I've written anything on here. I suppose that's a good thing because it means I'm working a lot. And for an Agent if you don't work there is no money to pay your bills.
This last month I've been working the ancient art of Diplomacy. I'm not sure that what I do is an art, but I sure do try hard to be a kind and patient person when it comes to negotiating with publishers. Our world is a strange one made up of ideas that are proposed and pitched to a small segment of society that can make or break your career.
It takes tact, persistence, and on occasion, anger to make it as a Literary Agent.
I have to say that one of the most annoying tasks is waiting for phone calls to be returned. I believe I have mentioned that to an Agent a phone is a lifeline, so when it doesn't ring my life becomes frustrating.
I realize that everyone is busy but I do believe in common courtesy and returning a call is extremely important in my life. Last week I left three phone messages and sent two emails to a person that I needed to hear from quite quickly.
Now barring illness or other misfortune, what is a good reason for not returning my calls? Do they realize that the very food on my plate relies on their voice at the other end of the line? How can I pay for my brisket or Montreal smoked ham if they don't call me back? How would they feel if I didn't return their calls?
I realize that in this business you don't want to burn any bridges with either publishers or the media, but there comes a point when they need to realize that what they do actually can affect someone and not in a good way.

So if you were one of those people in the last month who 'forgot' to return my call, take a couple minutes and dial my number or drop me an email. Whether you use a blackberry, a cell phone, or something that has an Application to dial, call me. It's good for you and good for me. Well I don't know about you- but I'm thinking of myself and my growling stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment